CSS can do some great things these days
Here’s a short round-up of some CSS methods that I’ve been impressed with recently:
- More and more, CSS is being used to create image-like effects and here’s a nice example of CSS being used to create post tags. The :before and :after pseudo elements and some CSS3 and border properties are used to create the triangle and circle shapes.
- Great use of the text-shadow property to create 3D text using just CSS
- CSS3 Slide-up Boxes uses CSS transitions to achieve an animated mouseover effect.
- Until fairly recently, who would have thought that you could create Checkerboard, striped & other background patterns with CSS3 gradients? Fantastic effects without the use of images!
- CSS Arrows and Shapes Without Markup uses the triangle shape border method and the :after pseudo element, like the post tags item above.
- Shadow experiments shows how to create a ‘dark side of the moon’ rainbow prism effect (like the Pink Floyd CD cover)
There’s some inspiring work in these examples!